Monday, July 12, 2010

The Promise of Living: What it means to be an American

Yes, this post is about Aaron Copland's famous piece, from the opera A Tender Land, so forgive me if I wax a little about it. I know it can be off-putting when people talk about movies/writers/directors/books/music as if they are truly in love with them, not just infatuated. Now, I consider myself a man of eclectic tastes, which does not mean that I'm metrosexual or the like, it just means that I like a broad scope of things, but maybe not others in the same category. I know that doesn't sound like it makes much sense but bear with me (because I know you wouldn't want to bare with me, I am married after all).

But anyway, there is something about this piece of music that has always felt very American to me. I'm mainly seeing this as a way to reflect on Independence Day last week, still reeling from the glorious fireworks at Camp Lejeune. It is true, that the composer himself has always modeled his pieces around American archetypes and iconography, but this one in particular just reflects such a positive mood for those who are and those wanting to be American in the turn of the century. There is a lot of of controversy these days about the denial of the "American dream," which is not something I'm for or against. I think the dream itself is a lie and not be something that everyone should aspire to (see debt crisis), but yes, they should have the right to aspire for. There is also a blurring definition of what it means to be a citizen. Sure, you are either a legal citizen, or you're not, but that does not mean people aren't going to argue anyway.

But that's not what this piece is about. I cannot say enough words to explain this, you can't describe nostalgia in fact. A nostalgia for a time that I was never familiar with, yet long for and have only seen in a parent's old pictures. Someone was so kind to post this on youtube awhile back, so I encourage you to just watch it and forget all the news pundits, the political jargon, and your iPhone/droid/blackberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment