Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gazpacho for the Summertime

For a few weeks now I've been wanting to try 'fruit soup,' or fruit gazpacho as I guess it's officially called. I remember years ago when my sister tried the same thing and I'm not sure that it turned out quite like she wanted it to. I picked up an easy one online (yes, on Harris Teeter's website) that looked the easiest and, best of all, the quickest.

Raspberry Gazpacho Raspberry Gazpacho

After making, I noticed it was a little runny, probably due to all the lime seltzer it called for. Not a bad recipe, though some adjustments were definitely needed. For people who aren't so keen on raspberrys, I recommend using blackberrys because the raspberrys are kind of bitter tasting.
  • 1 ½ pints raspberries
  • HT Naturals frozen organic whole raspberries
  • ½ HT lime seltzer
  • 4 mint leaves, julienne and one cluster for garnish
  • 1 cup minced cantaloupe
  • 1 cup minced honeydew
  • 1 cup minced pineapple
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
Directions:
  1. In a blender, combine raspberries, and process till smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
  2. Combine the raspberry puree with remaing ingredients serve chilled.
I didn't use mint in mine, and I probably should have, because it may have mellowed the taste of raspberry some. Since I don't like honeydew or cantaloupe, I put blackberrys and bananas in it instead. Also, 1/2 of a lime seltzer bottle is too much, so probably a 1/4 will do. Has anyone tried this or another fruit gazpacho and found it to be too much? Since this was a little bitter, is it better to use something like creme fraiche to lighten it up and give it more texture or something more sweet? If I do have any readers (besides me and my wife) yet, please give me your take on a better way to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment