Thursday, August 19, 2010

Greek-Style Garlic Shrimp and Orzo (not my recipe)

Every now and then I'll post a recipe here and there, so I don't have to talk about myself or some world issue that's happening. This recipe I got from Rachel Ray's 365 day recipes. I know that people don't consider her Julia Child, nor am I Julie from the movie Julie & Julia (obsessive much?), but I love this recipe. Who knows? One day I might write about trying every recipe in the book.
(photo courtesy of Jennifer A. Limbaugh, aka the wife)


1 small red onion
2/3 lb. orzo (little over half the box)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes*
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped oregano leaves
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1 lb. small shrimp
juice of 1/4 lemon
1/4 cup evoo (4 times around the pan)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup white vermouth or 1/3 cup dry white wine
2 small handfuls of chopped parsley
course black pepper

Heat a large pot of water for the orzo. When the water boils, salt it and cook until al dente.

On the side, season the shrimp with the lemon juice and a little salt (recipe originally calls for an additional 2 Tbsp. lemon zest, I don't do this though)

Heat the 1/4 cup of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), then add the onions, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the shrimp and cook for a minute more. Add the cherry tomatoes, parsley, olives, and oregano, and season w/ salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, then turn off the heat.
Drain the cooked orzo and drizzle with a touch of EVOO to keep it from sticking. Serve the orzo topped w/ feta crumbles and the shrimp mixture. (makes 4 servings)

Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats, A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners (Clarkson Potter/Publishers, New York. 2005)

*Just a note-I like to put less red pepper flakes in mine, so about 1/2 a Tbsp. for a still spicy but less overkill version. Also, the recipe calls for fresh parsley and oregano leaves, but if you're like me you don't want to spend more on stuff you won't need later. Consult your spice rack, it's still great. And by 'handfuls' of parsley, she means in the palm.

I realize that not everyone likes olives or feta cheese. I didn't either, until I had them in this (and feta taste great with pepperoni pizza as well). Broaden your horizons and don't discount them if you want to make this.

1 comment:

  1. EAT the EVOO? I think you mean HEAT. haha. And its handful, not handfull. Gosh, spell check!

    ReplyDelete